Skip to main content

Stuck in ORD

So - I'm on my way to the NFCDCU conference in New Orleans. I was asked to sit on a panel that is talking about emerging models in the community development credit union world. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more about other youth programs around the country.

My flight has been delayed two hours. A bunch have been cancelled, so we'll see what happens...

I should be working - I have a ton to do. BUT - I got up at 4:00 am and have the attention span of a flying bat right now - so I might as well blog. I've been somewhat sporadic in my postings, so now is a good time to catch you up on the last few weeks.

Random comment - There are two adorable little girls next to me, it's been fun talking to them. It seems like the whole airport is delayed.

Random comment - 4:05 departure...

Had a great time with Jeremy in New York a couple of weeks ago. Jeremy scored tickets for the Yankees / Red Sox game. Jeremy is a good guy. It's been good getting to know him over the past few years. I met Jeremy's brother Jonathan. So far all the DelRio's seem to be great folks.












My folks came up the day after I got back from NYC. Dad was working at a nuclear plant on the central coast. He was tired after working about 12 weeks straight. He took a much needed nap. Pastor Bains had Dad come up and say a few words from the pulpit. He's calls him his 'Italian Dad'.

So - we're getting closer to the credit union opening. The target date is August 8th. The next few weeks are nuts for me, starting with this trip to New Orleans. Next week we're hosting a breakfast to let folks know about the project and how they can get involved. I'm working hard to prepare a presentation for that meeting. Last Saturday we had a strategic planning retreat. It was a great day to look at where we've been and where we're going. Rob McClelend facilitated the meeting. I met with him yesterday and he gave me a bunch of homework (no wonder why he's a professor). I'll post more about that later. Then, on July 13th we have our golf tournament. Crazy times. I remarked to Melissa yesterday that this feels like the busiest time of our life, as least since we lived in Mexico.

Random Comment - met a cool young lady over a Cesar salad. We talked about purpose in life. Thanks for putting stuff into context, Rick Warren.

Maria Chavez, who will be the Senior Branch Manager of the credit union left her job at BCM and is now in training in Modesto for the CU opening. Before she left she threw a fun 'life change' party at her friend's house. Cindy Porras (Mora) and Greg Mora came. Maria, Cindy and Greg were in our youth group in Modesto. It was SUCH a blessing to see them, all grown up but thriving. They almost feel like 'our' kids. Melissa and Kim also took a turn at Karoke.




Kim - I have proof that you're not all 'COGIC'!!

Random thought - everyone is bored here.

Well - I better run, think they might be boarding soon. Time to stretch my legs a little.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YWAMers Praised for Faith and Leadership

The Denver Post reports on the memorial service at the Denver YWAM base: "We're going to celebrate a life, we're not accentuating a death," said Faith Bible Chapel pastor George Morrison, in opening a memorial service today for two people killed at a missionary training school in Arvada . The service is called "A Celebration of Life for Tiffany and Philip." Philip Crouse and Tiffany Johnson died Sunday when a gunman opened fire at the school's dormitory. Youth With a Mission director Peter Warren said today both Crouse and Johnson embodied the spirit of the group. First the service focused on Crouse . "Phil gave his life to Jesus Christ and was never the same again," said Zach, a friend of Johnson's who met him years ago at a youth ministry in Alaska. At the time, Crouse was tough and wouldn't let people get close to him. "Over the years, Phil became a humble, teachable, sweet guy" who was able to reach kids with rough e

PageMill, Wells Fargo and Sam Zell

Dear Friends,  Normal.dotm 0 0 1 888 5066 Northern California Urban Development 42 10 6221 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false As many of you know we've been in discussion recently with Wells Fargo and Equity Residential, the proposed buyers of the former Pagemill Properties on the west side of East Palo Alto.  As an East Palo Alto resident and leader I view this issue, and how Wells Fargo handles this important portfolio as a milestone event for our community and it’s residents. First, a little background (from my perspective):  A few years ago over 80% of East Palo Alto's multi family housing stock was purchased piece by piece by a predator equity group, Pagemill Properties. After the purchase Pagemill began systematically dismantling our rent control ordinances and aggressively evicting working class families. The community was in shock. However, the Pagemill group went bankrupt in 2009 and lost the property to Wachovia, soon to be

Untitled

Posted via email from JOHN's posterous