Skip to main content

The Word...

During my time down with the UYWI crew we bantered around some text of scripture that would serve as a theme for next year's conference. One text that jumped out, (I don't know if it will be a part of the theme or not) - Psalm 23. John Lewis encouraged me to read it out of The Message since I had a copy with me. It really struck me between the eyes. It reads:
God, my shepherd
I don't need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows
you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word,
you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

Even when my way goes through Death Valley
I'm not afraid
When you wank at my side
Your trusty shepherd's crook
makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner
right in front of my enemies
You revive my drooping head;
my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me
every day of my life.
I'm back home in the House of God
For the rest of my life.
I've read this text possibly hundreds of times. Something about this translation grabbed me. We've been in a season of reaping and blessing with the ministry. The credit union is close to being a reality, our youth programs kick off in a matter of weeks. The golf tournament was a resounding success. Things are definitely moving forward and it's feeling like the three years of hard work are beginning to pay off.

However, on the home front it's been a time of testing and perseverance. My wife Melissa's job at New Creation Home , (that she loves dearly) can be challenging. It's not the the work, it's just that it's painful to watch young people struggle to make right choices. In ministering to students, it's sometimes hard not to take their poor choices personally. In addition, without going into too much detail, there are some personal challenges to us regarding faith and finances that we're working through.

Ultimately, I think we're feeling a little weary from the last few intense years of planting and ministering.

So - I'm hanging on to this text. I'm praying for "quiet pools and lush meadows" for our family. I love the words, "your beauty and love chase after me". I believe and trust that God grace and love with not only chase but overtake us.

Not to sound too depressed, we're thrilled to be serving God and and our community. God is a faithful and loving God! I'm glad to be resting in the palm of his hand!

Q. What's going on in your life? In what areas do you need "quiet pools and lush meadows'? How does this translation of Psalm 23 speak to you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YWAMers Praised for Faith and Leadership

The Denver Post reports on the memorial service at the Denver YWAM base: "We're going to celebrate a life, we're not accentuating a death," said Faith Bible Chapel pastor George Morrison, in opening a memorial service today for two people killed at a missionary training school in Arvada . The service is called "A Celebration of Life for Tiffany and Philip." Philip Crouse and Tiffany Johnson died Sunday when a gunman opened fire at the school's dormitory. Youth With a Mission director Peter Warren said today both Crouse and Johnson embodied the spirit of the group. First the service focused on Crouse . "Phil gave his life to Jesus Christ and was never the same again," said Zach, a friend of Johnson's who met him years ago at a youth ministry in Alaska. At the time, Crouse was tough and wouldn't let people get close to him. "Over the years, Phil became a humble, teachable, sweet guy" who was able to reach kids with rough e

PageMill, Wells Fargo and Sam Zell

Dear Friends,  Normal.dotm 0 0 1 888 5066 Northern California Urban Development 42 10 6221 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false As many of you know we've been in discussion recently with Wells Fargo and Equity Residential, the proposed buyers of the former Pagemill Properties on the west side of East Palo Alto.  As an East Palo Alto resident and leader I view this issue, and how Wells Fargo handles this important portfolio as a milestone event for our community and it’s residents. First, a little background (from my perspective):  A few years ago over 80% of East Palo Alto's multi family housing stock was purchased piece by piece by a predator equity group, Pagemill Properties. After the purchase Pagemill began systematically dismantling our rent control ordinances and aggressively evicting working class families. The community was in shock. However, the Pagemill group went bankrupt in 2009 and lost the property to Wachovia, soon to be

Untitled

Posted via email from JOHN's posterous